Tuesday, April 14, 2009

readings/class

Well I have not been on here in awhile and I need to update my blog! Well, I had my 21st birthday last week, and it was very fun. It is very different, the bar scene, something I am going to enjoy I think. I am glad to say that I have met all different people at the bar so far, all different races and cultures and I think it is going to be fun to meet even more people different from me. This class as well as 348 has opened my eyes to different races and culture in literature, as well as in everyday life. I have started reading some of my books for my final project, I have one book done and two more to read. I must say that this young adults going through this transgender transition, is something that I was very closed off to, and honestly knew nothing about. After reading this books I really feel for people who have become transgenders, I cannot imagine not wanting to be a female and be a male or vice versa, they struggle very much and I envy them for their courage to come out and be who they want to be no matter what other people think, if I could be that way with my life when it came to certain things, I think I would be a much better person. They have overcome so much, and I know a lot of people out there have as well, but this is something that is internal and they are fighting with everday until they finally let it out. I again wish I could be more like that. I am interested in reading Boy meets Boy and seeing how that story plays out. I have not found any articles that I thought were scholary enough for this project, but I am going to continue to look until I find one that I like when it comes to this topic. I am looking forward to class next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Candice! Welcome to the EL bar scene haha...one of the most fun things for me at the bar is always meetings new people. It's amazing the conversations you can have with people you have just met! East Lansing is a suprisingly diverse town. As for the whole transgender thing, have you watched last season's "Real World" at all? Perhaps for your final project, you can use an article that shows how Kaitlyn on the show was portrayed in the media. I know Tyra Banks also did an episode on her show about transgenders. When talking to Deb about my final project, she said it was okay to use an article about how the media portrays your particular topic. I'm sure there is TONS of interesting articles about the transgender population and how its portrayed. See ya next week!

    ReplyDelete