Wednesday, January 21, 2009

adult vs. children's biography books

Recently I have been going to the East Lansing Public Library and checking out biographies on old presidents and writers. I have always been a fan of certain people in politics. The Kennedy's are my favorite political family, although I have found a new favorite president. President Lincoln. His birthday is coming up in February and I thought that I would learn more about this man. I checked out an 'adult' biography book as well as a children's biography book. I was actually quite stunned at what was and what was not included in the children's book. Obviously, the biography from the adult section had much much more detail and was about 4oo pages, but still, the things included in the children's book I found really did not show what this man acutally did for our country. I am wondering if that's becuase it could be to complex for a younger auidence to understand. Although I feel that if there are going to be books written about people of our country's past, that they should be written with information worthwhile of knowing. I have already retunred the children's book or I would give an excat example and I dont remember the author's name but I feel they could of done a better job at writing about President Lincoln in a children's perspective. I also think it is important to have biographies in your classroom, of all different people and all different diverse races and cultures. I find it fasicinating to learn about people from many years ago and I hope that I can fill my classroom with well-written books on important people of our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment