Friday, January 30, 2009

readings

I just recently finished the readings for next class. Yes, I did stay in on a Friday and do homework. I feel pretty lame, but I have no choice! I have to much homework these weekend to go out! Anyways. I found these articles very interesting. I am not sure how much I cared for Shannon's piece. I feel the statements made in the beginning, I really cannot say I agree with. He states that "They view discussions of multiculturalism in children's literature as new impositions upon their students and themselves because they believe that they stand apart from culture and lead "normal lives"" (I am the Canon: Finding ourselves in multiculturalism, Patrick Shannon.) I just don't feel I agree with this, it almost upsets me. I know that I have not experienced all there is to know about multiculturalism but I don't not feel that multiculturalism is an 'imposition' upon my future students and myself. Now I know he goes on to talk about what he feels multiculturalism is and different points of view and discusses that multiculturalism involves more then just race and culture, but really goes into class, and economic place, etc. This makes a lot of sense to me. Just personally knowing certain people of different classes and different values, all bring different points of view and opinions into the classroom as well as a melting pot of different students. 
As for who is qualified to write for a different race or culture then their own, I am not sure where I stand with this. After reading these articles, I still am not sure how I feel. Bishop feels strongly that those who are embraced and know the culture from the inside out have the most knowledge and experience to write about that particular race/culture. "I do know the difference between race and culture, and what I tried to say is that you have to know a culture intimately if your going to reflect it accurately in your fiction" (A Reply to Shannon the Canon, Rudine Sims Bishop.) I do agree with these. But, I feel I also agree with another person who say is of a different race/culture and they chose to write about another race/culture that they know a lot about and have accurate facts. There is a lot that goes into children's literature. Every detail matters, no matter what it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment