Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Today's class

Today was a very interesting class. I liked the articles we read and I thought the discussion on Becoming Namio Leon was very interesting. Something that I wanted to say but didn't get a chance to say was this: I think that the book was well written and on many topics that were all brought into one, heritage, disability, addiction, coming of age story. That being said, I did not care of Skyla. She was not a mother that needed to be in these kids lives. Her addiction to achololwas stronger then her and she was not getting any better. She was two different people, one person while she was drinking and drunk and one person when she was not drinking. Although the person she was when she was not drinking she was a better person, but still a mother who really loves her children and cares for them would not want "only one" and I don't care what anyone says no matter how much the boyfriend (Clive) had to do with it, a mothers love for her child is UN breakable, and she was broken. I think the book opened up a lot of our eyes and I'm glad that we could all discuss this book with respect for one another with different opinions. I have started reading the books for my final project. So far I have read a book called "GRL 2 GRL" it was very interesting. It was a collection of different stories about girls who are gay and those who are transgender and the experiences they have gone through, all told from their point of view. I understand that we each have our flaws that we don't like and sometimes those flaws get picked on when in school or what not, but these poor women were tortured by others because they were gay or transgender and didn't want to be girls. My eyes have really been opened with this piece of literature and I hope that there are less and less people like that out there each day because we have to realize that we must accept people, even if we do not agree with things they do. Just like Skyla, I'm sure she had her positive moments, although those were not really seen in the book, she is person that needs help and I don't agree with the things she did, I do agree that she has potential if she WANTS to get help and if she really tried and wanted to, could be a good mom to BOTH of her children. I hope that the next few books I have to read for my project open my eyes even more. I will say that I have judged people before, and I don't like that I have done that. And through looking for the scholarly articles I hope to find more peoples opinions on literature of this nature and what it means to other people. On my last note, this weekend I am going to be in Texas for my uncles birthday, and I am going to keep my eyes open for anything that I can share during, "seen and heard." 

1 comment:

  1. Candice -
    LOVED reading your post - sure do hope that everyone from the class reads it. Have fun in Texas. Eager to hear all about your trip next week.

    ReplyDelete