Friday, March 13, 2009

Post Spring Break-

I am just coming to the end of my spring break, and I have started some much over do time for homework. I just recently finished reading "Becoming Naomi Leon." I am not sure how I feel about it, I don't really see how it relates to the class, except for the fact that Naomi and her family are Mexican/Spanish. I mean, the book did focus on their families and what they find important and their holidays/religions and such, but I also felt it more focused on the situation with he mother and taking the child and not wanting the other soon because he was a little different. Now that I have typed that all out, I suppose the book does relate to this class! It is a diverse book with many different aspects that children of different cultures might experience. Well, since I just contradicted myself! That's that, I will be interested to talk and write about this book for my questioning the text, although at this point I have no clue what I'm going to ask because I still am not sure how I want to approach this book. Anyways, this past week I volunteered in my friend's mom's classroom in Detroit. She is a 3rd grade teacher and during silent reading I noticed many of the children were reading books that were written in Spanish, as many of the students in the class are Hispanic. I thought that was very interesting, because everything is taught to them in English. Also I wanted to post about what I want to do my final project on. I wanted to focus on the group of children's books that focus on Obese and overweight children. I think weight is a very important aspect of a child's feeling about themselves and how others view them, even more so then race, culture, etc. I feel passionate about this topic, and hope that I can find books that I can do this on! We will see how many books there are once I check out the library. By the way..has any one's face book changed over to the new version! Mine just did and I must say, I am not a fan! 

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading your posts! Glad that you feel passionate about these topics. I agree with you about the importance of talking about obese and overweight children, particularly because, as you mention in your post, there's so many stereotypes/humor associated with it in popular media. I've found one "quality" book in this regard - I'll bring it to class next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading this post I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. When I first finished "Becoming Naomi Leon" I sat trying to figure out what part of it played into our class. Then just like you, it kind of hit me that there are many aspects of this book that relate to multicultural diversity! Glad to know that someone else had a moment of questioning too!

    ReplyDelete