Wednesday, March 18, 2009

topics and tv shows.

So, I think I am going to change my final project topic to Transgender, instead of my original choice of African Americans. I think the reason I would like to change to this new topic because I realized that in class we have discussed African American literature, and I wanted to research something new. I have seen a few specials on TV about Transgender children, and I think it is a very powerful thing. I was really taken back by how confident these children were, and at such a young age with themselves. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of articles there are out there about this topic. On a different note. This morning while I was taking an online quiz for another one of my classes, I was watching Saved by the Bell. It was an episode about raising money for the cheer leading squad to get new uniforms. They held an date auction for the guys and the money raised would be donated to the cheerleaders. Well, this upset me at first because they had the "geek" as the show would label raise only 15 cents. Just because he is smart, wears glasses and spenders and walks with a hunch, he is a geek that is only worth 15 cents. Then the athlete makes about 50 dollars. And then it is Zach Morris's turn. He gets bet on by all the ladies, and the one that wins is an overweight girl who pays 100 dollars. This really ticked me off- after she won Zach looked stunned and had to be pushed next to her and his face was a face of disgust. This is sooo wrong! I don't understand why. The girl was cute, nice, funny, smart and the only reason he was upset was because she was heavy. What kind of message does this send to young female viewers watching? It is an issue of diversity because as we all know, overweight people are just as unaccepted as others. It just really ticks me off, because its so unnecessary. Anyways, those are my thoughts for the day- 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I remember that episode and I know that at the time when I would have been watching the show, I don't know if I would have noticed that these things were wrong. As an elementary school-aged child, I probably would have just thought it was "normal" for the overweight girl to be undesirable to boys. This class is great because it forces us to think about every situation we encounter. It makes us decide weather it is acceptable or not for these things that we are exposing our children to to be so prevalent. It is very important as future teachers and parents to explain every situation to our children and help them understand what is right and wrong. If no one were to tell their children who are watching this program that this is not how it should be, they could grow up with serious prejudices about people in the future. I know that my parents were probably not always sitting with me and explaining to me that some of the things I was watching on tv were unacceptable, but they made sure to teach me that I need to be accepting of everyone I encounter in my life and get to know them before judging them. This is something we need to make sure we are doing with our children in the future so this world can grow in a more positive direction.

    Also, I think your topic is great and I am excited to learn more about it from your project!

    ReplyDelete