Wednesday, November 11, 2009

South Africa

With the holidays coming up and this first semester of school almost over with, I am a bit overwhelmed! I find the best way for me to relax is to just get all my school work done and watch my favorite shows. I am looking forward to break also. I am going to be traveling to South Africa this up coming summer for a study abroad trip. I am extremely excited about this. I will be working in a school with a host teacher who I will also be living with. I am really interested in seeing the different cultures. But especially seeing the different the different way school is ran and the technology. I have been told that some schools have computers and Internet and some don't. This will be such a good experience for me to see how school is taught without technology. I fortunately was raised in a school district where all my years at school I had computers and Internet (Internet started when I was in 4th grade for me) and just lots of different ways to use technology (over head, etc.) I am really looking forward to this culture change and working with different students. I love teaching and think that this will be a great way for me to expand my knowledge and just learn new things. I am hoping to keep a blog while I am there (depending on when/if I can get Internet.) It will most likely be this blog, so if anyone is interested in how my trip is going and the schools, I will try to post as often as I can. Like I said I am really looking forward to seeing the difference in technology. We are fortunate where we live, but I think people are just as fortunate who live without technology because then they aren't dependent on sitting on a computer but exploring and having conversations. Best of both worlds seems the best way.


This is where I will be staying, Cape Town.

2 comments:

  1. Candice,
    what an experience you are going to have! It will definitely be a cultural shock... resources are much more scarce in comparison to what you grew up with and had access to in your school district! This will be such an amazing, fun learning adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice! I am so jealous that you are heading to South Africa. I have heard about a lot of people going on this trip and now I wish I would have taken the opportunity to check it out and go. Cape Town looks beautiful and I hope that you post pics up here when you get back! You are going to have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete