Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Technolgoy Explored- Smart Board

The technology that I wish to explore for this week is a Smart Board. I have chosen this because I was unable to attend the technology information meeting on Monday in Erickson. I am choosing this because I did some research of my own on Smart Boards and found that this tool is very, very beneficial to a classroom. There are so many ways that this tool can be used and improved upon that it is almost hard to fit it all into one blog post. I think that having a Smart Board within your classroom gives you the opportunity (similar to using an ELMO) to really get the students to be hands on with what they are learning. It is more then just showing pictures and taking notes. It is writing on the board, possibly over an Internet site that is pulled up. Over a power point presentation that is pulled up or even over a student's assignment that is pulled up on the Smart Board. Also now that many students and schools are becoming very technology savvy this is a great way to be able to have access to personal school websites during the day at school and then as well at home. I think this would also be a way for students to take notes and use basically everyday. This board is so cool! I find it so interesting because it allows you to literally "write on the white screen" with the special markers and erasers that it comes with. I just find it so fascinating. I did a little simulation and with this board, it is like a computer screen that you can use your hands with. In one of my previous classes we used this board and talked about it a lot how we could use it in our classrooms. Everyone in the class wanted to get a chance to try it out. At that time I wasn't able to use it then but I wanted to. Watching the other students may ideas came to me during this time. I find that one of the best uses for the Smart Board is the students involvement. If I as a future teacher find the Smart Board so interesting, the students will for sure as well. Just being able to come up to the board and write on it while also learning and teaching a lesson using the Internet for example. Pulling up a chart and having the students walk up and fill in the chart. This can be used for all different subjects even. Going on field trips, etc. One thing that just came to me is also between the teachers being able to share material over the Internet and then bring it up on the Smart Board and save a lot of time. This sheds down to having more time for other things, giving the students more time to think and learn instead of worrying about not having enough time. Also that way all students in the grades are getting introduced to something like this and sharing a common idea. A great basis for students to take off and really apply themselves and learn. I believe Smart Boards also can be used for school meetings, staff meetings, parent-teacher conferences. It is so versatile and allows for great interaction. I think that is what I like best about the Smart Boards. The fact that the interaction is more then just a teacher standing in front of the classroom talking and lecturing off a power point or the board. But writing and asking questions and putting this right out there for all the students to see. I think this will also get those certain students who are more shy then others to come out of their shell and try out the technology.

1 comment:

  1. Smartboards really are amazing. I am soo overwhelmed by the amount of good they bring to classrooms! I can't wait to be able to use one. I am hoping that I can attend some sort of workshop that will help me learn more about them since I am a very hands-on learner. I've had a difficult time grasping exactly how to use smartboards to their fullest potential and I would love a chance to really sit down and work with them. I know you said you didn't make it to the Monday workshop, did you go to the tech. conference?

    ReplyDelete