Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wiki's in the classroom

Within my classroom I think it would be wonderful to have a wiki page. There is so much that can be done with something like this within a classroom relating to almost all different kinds of projects and activities. I think it would be really helpful with the older elementary grades (4th-6th) to use a wiki because that way it can be used outside of school and it requires the internet. An example of what a wiki could be used for within a classroom setting could be a science project on growing plants. Similar to how our wiki is set up with the gallery, each student could have a part of the growing process, or reproduction patterns and watching the plants over time and observing, could update and post information onto the wiki. This way, all students would be able to see everyone else's work, as well as the information uploaded would be useful for the project. This way all the students are collaborating on the same thing together, but updating and editing with information along the way. I find that this would be extremely successful with the students because they are the controllers of the website and the information. This is just one example that could be used with students all working together but there are so many more they cannot be listed. Even what we use with the gallery is extremely helpful because everyone posts on different topics, and each week there is something new to look at. Even for a classroom daily homework questions or topics could be posted on a wiki for all to look at, and then learn from as well. That is what I think is the most important thing about a wiki, being able to learn from others and see what others have done. This would have to be monitored within a classroom because this could be used as a medium for cheating or copying off one anothers work and not posting their own original work, but that would have to be monitored. For instance the teacher could be able to go through on random checks to look over the wiki and make sure that everything is being done with honesty and no plagiarism. Another thing that a wiki could be used for as working together for the students within the classroom would be uploading homework. This could be really helpful to the teacher because him or her would just have to go to the wiki page, and click through each post/link and grade it. Overall, I think the best way to use a wiki within the classroom is with a project, and all the students gathering different information and posting it on the wiki page for all to see. It allows the students to work together and give feedback as well. I will most likely be using a wiki in my classroom once I become a teacher if I am in the upper elementary.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you have great you are doing in this class! it must feel nice to be nearly completely done, huh!? I've really enjoyed keeping up with your blog and I will continue to do so...do you think you're going to continue updating even after this class is finished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is really nice. I also enjoy reading your blog as well. I love how you always have pictures and posts that mean something. It is really refreshing. Thank you for that! I hope to yes, keep my blog after the class. What about you?

    ReplyDelete