Saturday, February 21, 2009

Book Awards

After reading the articles about awards for literature, I am somewhat on a fence. Some things stated in the first article we read by Aronson I don't know how I feel about. I like all awards for books no matter who or what the race of the author is. I think once we get into class and can discuss more about what these awards are all about and go into more detail I will have a better understanding. Although one statement made in the Aronson article stood out to me "The problem is that if the award is from the community to the community, then it is up to the surrounding communities to decide if those experiences-which they are inherently excluded from completely understanding-vitally important to them" I think this is a good discussion starting off point and sparks an interest in who is awarded books, and why. In terms of the debate, I think I connect and understand with more of what Pickney was saying, although the quote by Aronson is very interesting to me. I think it is important for all cultures to be honored with awards and we must remember that this books are for children and that all races and cultures should have the feeling of honor knowing someone like them can be honored for an outstanding work of literature. Also after researching some information about my award group, The Coretta Scott King Award, I think I find it more necessary to have awards such as this as it pinpoints great books that should be shared with all races/cultures, etc. 

1 comment:

  1. Candice - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue! I think I'll use your idea of starting with the quote you include in our class tomorrow. Eager to talk about it further!

    ReplyDelete