Thursday, February 26, 2009

A. Capone

I just recently finished reading Al Capone Does My Shirts. I must say, I really really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down! I had started reading at about 11 and I stayed up until 2, just so I could finish it! I think it is a great novel. Disabilities and people with disabilities have a special place in my heart. Although my family has no one with physical disabilities, there are some mental disabilities. When first starting to read the book, I wanted to know what was "wrong" with Natalie. As the book went on I figured that she had autism. Not exactly sure why but I have learned a lot about autism and what its about. I am a big fan of Jenny McCarthy and her son has autism. She has been on Oprah a few times and has written a book, although I have not read it.  I heard that she had stated that food and what a person with autism eats really effects them. I know wheat is one of those things. I think that is very interesting. Also while reading this book I felt really bad for Moose. He was the younger brother but I felt like his mom made him feel bad for being without a disability, and the fact that he felt it was his fault that Natalie was like this really bothered me. Coming from a middle child perspective, and having a younger brother with a severe form of ADHD, I can see where he is coming from, but it is still upsetting. I know that I was looked over sometimes because my parents had to focus more on my brother and what was going on with him, although that is why I am so independent. But I think that children with disabilities are not given a fair chance at schools and education. I have learned over time that children with disabilities need to be placed in the real world, and not necessarily "babied" Giving them responsibility and allowing them to function in normal society gives them a chance at becoming independent and living a normal life. I think schools need to do more for those with disabilities. Its not fair and it really bothers me. Although I am not a special ed major, I still feel very strongly about this. I am not sure what question I am going to ask for my paper but I know that there is a lot here to work with, and I am looking forward to the discussion in class next week and to hear every one's opinions on this book and about disabilities in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment