Monday, September 21, 2009

technology integration

Currently, I am not placed in a school yet, but I will be later in the semester. Last spring though, I was placed in a school. The technology within that school and within the classrooms was different then what I had growing up in my school district. Although in the school I was in in the spring had about three computers in each classroom and the students were allowed to use them only when they were done with the work for that hour, or if the assignment involved typing or searching information. The students (at least when I was there) were not given a lot of instruction on what to do on the computer or how to do things, they seemed to just already know, as this was a 6th grade classroom. I will say that the teacher and student interaction with technology and the computers was lacking, there was none. The teacher used an overhead to put notes on the board, but really that was all besides the computers. This was an inner city/urban setting. Most of the students had access to a computer and Internet connection at home and they seemed to use social networking cites (twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.) although not for classroom/school relation. I know previously though in classroom I have seen smart boards used. Which were a great way to include the students in a hands on lesson and the students seemed to respond very well to being able to touch a "computer screen" on the wall. I feel the more students are included in technology within the classroom, the more they will find it fun and interesting and apply themselves to what they are really learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment