Sunday, September 27, 2009

To Tweet or Not to Tweet

I really enjoy having a Twitter account. I had an account before I started this class and I really enjoyed it then as well. My thoughts on it so far are really this- it is a way to see what other people are doing, discuss things that are happening currently whether in the news or pop culture. It is also a way to connect with others and find interesting topics you have with others (#_____) whatever you want to discuss. I will admit that I do follow many celebrities on Twitter and it is interesting to read their updates on what they are doing/where they are, etc. That sounds really creepy, but they are celebrities! Within the classroom I think it could be a very useful thing. Also just within the schools. If many of the teachers within the schools had Twitters there could be status given, you can tweet at one another possibly about a field trip, something with technology, etc. The possibilities are endless really. Overall it really is just a tool to communicate with others. It allows you to talk/post/read/write about yourself and/or others. Tweeting at someone and then having a conversation is very simple and easy. The only drawbacks I see to Twitter thus far- it can be addicting as well as creeper. Sometimes I find myself looking at these tweets and I feel like I am a stalker! HA. Also I just think it can be hard for some people to get used to it and understand it. At first it is a little hard to understand exactly what you are supposed to do on there and how you can communicate with others. Although, once you get the hang of it, it is hard to stop! I also think by the time I get my own classroom most of the students within the classroom will have a Twitter account and we could have class discussions after school is out if there are questions, etc. I think it is a great tool to have within the classroom and would help in all those ways.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for opening my eyes to why I might use a Twitter account in my classroom. I was never interested in Twitter because I had decided that if I wanted to know what people were doing then I would just look on Facebook and I didn't really care what anyone else was doing. I am still having a hard time getting used to it, in fact I forgot I even had one but I am hoping that I get into it as much as you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am really using it a lot these days. Once you get into it and start reading other peoples tweets and things about education as well as personal, it gets really interesting!

    ReplyDelete